Shahjahan Siraj is a documentary film maker, web designer, photographer and multimedia teacher with 15 years experience from Bangladesh based in Japan. Since 1997, he has been producing media content for NGOs, development agencies, business organizations and creative individuals. He likes to produce media content on, climate change, popular culture, human rights, education, poverty reduction and SDGs (Sustainable Development Goals). He has been served over 140 NGOs, INGOs, and companies in different countries.
1. Professional Skill and Expertize
Video Production and Documentary Film Making :
Direction, DSLR filming, video editing ( with Final Cut Pro, Motion, Adobe Premiere, After Effects etc ), production research, script writing, broadcasting, online distribution and promotion.
Web Design and CMS Development:
Design and development of responsive website and portal with creative layout, coding, database, open source CMS customization ( Joomla, WordPress, Drupal, Magento etc), Flash Animation and SEO ( Search Engine Optimization).
Teaching and Training Facilitation:
Academic lecture on multimedia production, video communication, social media, online journalism, Content Management System (CMS), podcasting, multimedia creativity, Internet Radio, Online TV making, digital campaign, life skill and leadership development.
Multimedia Reporting and Digital Campaign:
Video and online journalism on social issues focus to human rights development, environment, climate change, popular culture, MDGs, street life, peace and conflict resolution in audio, video, text, photo and animated info-graphics formats.
2. Working Experience
Director & Multimedia Content Producer, Machizo Multimedia Communication
20 August, 2005 to present
Media content production, documentary film making, multimedia design, script writing, online journalism, e-book making, project co-ordination, team management, multimedia teaching and training to NGOs, client liaison and networking.
Editing and producing content for ‘UnnayanNews’ webzine and ‘Climate Radio’, an online radio on climate change from Bangladesh
1. Senior Lecturer, University of Liberal Arts ( ULAB)
Department of Media Studies and Journalism
March 2007 to September 2009
Responsibilities: Taught four courses; ‘New media and online applications’, ‘Multimedia productions’, ‘Advanced multimedia production’ and ‘Video communications
2. Team Leader, Drik Multimedia (Drik Picture Library Ltd)
* Online Editor, Banglarights.Net
April 2001 – February 2005
Responsibilities: Web design, multimedia production, project management, media research, report writing, video editing, delegating staffs, training to journalists and human rights activists
3. Creative Executive, AVCom
September 2000 to March 2001
Responsibilities: Video edit, graphics design, title animation, research, script writing and video project management
4. AV Consultant, FFWP, Philippines
May 2000 to June 24, 2000
Responsibilities: video edit, motion graphics, training, video documentation of official events and activities
5. Multimedia Designer Soft Works
January 1997 – May 2000
Responsibilities: Multimedia design, video edit, lingo programing ( Macromedia Director), research and content writing for e-book publications.
M.Sc. in Geological Sciences from Jahangirnagar University, secured second class third position, 1993-1995.
BSc. Honors in Geological Sciences from Jahangirnagar University secured second class second position,, 1990-1993
H.S.C in science from Dhaka Board, Shahid Sriti Government College, Muktagacha, Mymensingh, secured first division, 1987-1989
S.S.C in science from Dhaka Board, Narbarun Biddha Nikaton Muktagacha, secured first division, 1982-1987
Diploma in Graphics & Multimedia Communication, Soft Works, Dhaka, Bangladesh, secured A+, 1996-97 Session
4. Professional Training (major)
E-learning (Extended Learning), organized by jointly RNTC (Radio Netherlands), AMIC and ULAB.
February 2008 – May 2008 ( 11-13 February 2008 10 March-19 May 2008), Dhaka, Bangladesh.
Journalism and Local Content Production, ( Online Journalism and Web Publishing) organized by PANOS South Asia.
15-19 August, 2005, Kathmandu, Nepal
Human Rights Reporting, ( Human rights investigative journalism training program) organized by AED ( Academy for Educational Development) collaboration with USAID and BHRAP
25-29 January, 2004, Dhaka, Bangladesh
International Human Rights Colloquium, ( Special course on human rights development ) organized by Universidade de Sao Paulo and Columbia University, USA
May 26-June 6, 2003. Sao Paulo, Brazil
Video Communication and Journalism, the fifth regional workshop of Asia Pacific Video Resource Centre (VRC) on ‘Knowledge-based activism for strengthening civil society: Post-Johannesburg Challenges’, organized by TVE, AMIC, TVE Asia Pacific(TVEAP), Witness and Truth Talking Project.
18-22 November 2002, Singapore
Youth Leadership Development, the 21 Days training workshop on leadership development with title ‘Leaders of the New Millennium’, organized by Philippines Collegiate Association of Principles.
April 8-28, 2000, Manila, Philippines
Certificate course on photography, organized by Pathshala, South Asian Institute of Photography
March-May, 2002, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Certificate course on Web Engineering, Organized by Soft Works, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
September-December, 2000, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Development and People Participation, an extensive Course on alternative development and people’s participatory process (PPP), youth leadership and PRS ( Poverty Reduction Strategy) organized by TTGB (Training Task Group Bangladesh)
June 1995- June 96, Dhaka, Bangladesh
5. Teaching, Workshop Facilitation and Paper Presentations
Delivering lectures, sharing idea and experiences as trainer, resource person and presenter in over 70 international and national events. The majors are –
1. Bangla Popular Culture: Food and Life Style
Organized by Sado City Office on 14 September, 2013 in Sado-shi, Niigata-ken, Japan.
2. Digital Campaign Workshop
Organized by CSRL and Oxfam GB, Bangladesh on 27 March, 2012 at Journalism and Training Research Initiative ( JATRI )
3. Facilitating Focuss.Info Bangladesh workshop on Social Media and Social Bookmarking in the University of Liberal Arts Bangladesh from July 29 to 05 August 2011.
4. Bangladeshi Spirit and Popular Culture in Bangladesh organized by International Community Association on 26 June, 2011, Iinomatchi, Fukushima, Japan.
5. The Visual Imagination Across Boundaries. The lecture and presentation on ’80Plus1 livebits experiences in Dhaka’ 1-3 November 2010, Assumption University, Bangkok, Thailand.
6. Multimedia Local Content Production and ICT4D, regional review workshop organized by Panos South Asia, Kathmandu, Nepal 4-6 March 2010.
7. Ideal life, Family Values and World Peace, February Bangkok, 25 to March 2, 2010, Workshop organized by Universal Peace Federation, Thailand.
8. Series of lecture on multimedia production, video communication and new media communication in the Media Studies and Journalism Department (MSJ) of University of Liberal Arts (ULAB).
9. New media reality and freedom of expression in Bangladesh, May 4-5, 2009, Kathmandu, Nepal.
10. Community Broadcasting and MDGs, workshop organized by AMIC, New Delhi
11. New media leadership and youth participation – Reality and practices in Bangladesh July 15, 2008, Manila Hotel, Manila, Philippines.
12. Online video distribution for human rights and development: Bangladeshi experiences’ at Transmission Asia-Pacific (TXAP), May 19-25 2008, Sukabumi, Indonesia.
13. Computer, internet and photography training for young and child journalists on July 25-26, 2008 at Mass-line Media Centre (MMC) premises jointly organized by UNICEF and Mass-line Media Centre
14. Asia Media forum, Press freedom day conference, organized by AMIC, UNB at PIB, Dhaka, Bangladesh, May 02, 2008
15. Peoples Voices, Peoples Participation and Community Radio, organized by BNNRC, AMIC, 04 May, Dhaka, Bangladesh 2008
16. Training workshop Reporting on PRSP, organized by CJA and Panos Bangladesh, BCDM , 4-6 September, 2007
17. Online Journalism and Web Publishing , organized by PANOS South Asia, Nepal, 15-19 August, 2005
18. Fukushima Global Citizen Festival, 2005, organized by administration of Fukushima Prefecture, Japan, joined as international volunteer of Iino City team, 6 March, 2005
19. Towards Alternative Communities using ICT & Networking training workshop organized by BNNRC and WACC- Asia, YWCA, Muhamadpur, Dhaka on 11-14 March, 2004
20. Glocal Connectivity: Experience from DrikTAP to Banglarights at the event nationwide internet connectivity and online applications; organized by ARI, Virginia Tech and LGED, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
21. Promoting human rights and development through ICT: vision and experiences of Banglarights at III International Human Rights Colloquium – organized by So Paulo and Columbia University USA, So Paulo, Brazil. 25 May-05 June, 2003
22. Training to Photojournalist on ‘Internet,. Photography and Context‘ organized by Zeezeilen, the Netherlands and Drik Bangladesh on 6-7th August, 2002
23. Knowledge Based Activism Strengthen the Civil Society sharing Bangladeshi media activist and experience with video presentation, organized by TVE Asia Pacific, Elizabeth Hotel Singapore. 19-23 November, 2002
24. Training to Journalist on ‘Effective Use of Media and Internet for Promoting Human Rights‘ organized by The British Council, Drik and the Pathshala – South Asian Institute of Photography February, July and November 2001 sessions
25. Twenty One Days Workshop: Leaders of the New Millennium, organized by PLA Philippines, Antipolo City, Manila, Philippines. April 8-28, 2000.
6. Portfolio and Awards
The portfolios include 150 websites design and development in different language, 10 e-Books, 2 books, 21 documentary films, 300+ open video/ street video, 10 research paper, 5 audio documentary, 40 photo stories, thousands single shoots, hundreds lectures and blog posting on media and development issues.
Shahjahan Siraj has been awarded by ISIF Asia, Panos Fellowship, Stockholm Challenge, AMIC, One Word, PANAP, Manathan Award etc.
*Media projects: Banglarights, Power of Culture, UnnayanNet, UnnayanNews, UnnayanTV, Focuss.Info, 80plus1, Climate Radio, Social Adds, Good Citizen.
*E-Books: Bangladesh – Images and Impression, Images for Change, Climate Change Cell, True Leaders, Norpal Garments, PRSP and You, CCC Publication 2006, Law Dictionary ( Ain Shobdo Kosh ) , Stop AIDS Stop TB. Twelve broadcasting documentary and many online radio clips, video blog postings on on popular culture, life style, environment, human rights and development issues.
*Books: 1. Ashar Alo ( আশার আেলা – Light of Hope ), a Bengali novel, 2. Journey Around Dhaka
*Documentary films: Less Contamination, Moins de Contamination, Grameen Voices, Income Generation Project for Farmers ( IGPF), Social Services on Wheels, Home of Our Own, Qurbani Project of IRW Bangladesh, Tale of Madhupur, Food for Fasting People, Eye Sight Rehabilitation, Child Journalist Convention in Bangladesh, Amar Odhikar Campaign ( Bangla and English ), Shohor Banu, The Optimists, Saving Seed Saving Rice, The Victims, 80plus1, Saint Lalon
*TVC/ TV spot and promotional: BSS/ UK on Ullash, Focuss.Info, Family Ad for Rakuten International, Child Sponsorship, AribaTel TV spot, Hello Dhaka.
*Research papers: 1. The new media reality in Bangladesh, 2. Unity saving the people, 3. Glory of Language, 4. Living for the sake of others, 5. Dhaka city and the environment, 6. Do as I Like, 7. One info centre in one village, 8. The communal spirit and development, 9. ICT and Human Rights Promotion in Bangladesh, 10. New media leadership and Youth Participation in Bangladesh; and hundreds photography, journalistic photo stores, blog posting on media and development issues.
NOTE: The detailed CV, reference and supporting statements are available on request.